I am Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department of Civil Engineering and Computer Science Engineering
University of Rome "Tor Vergata", Italy.
My research interests include distributed systems, Web-based and Cloud-based systems and services, general purpose computing on GPU.
I teach and have taught courses in distributed systems, Cloud computing, big data, computer architecture, and Web engineering.
You can find here my CV
and a list of publications from DBLP and
My profiles on ORCID and ResearcherID are also public.
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ingegneria Informatica
Università degli Studi di Roma "Tor Vergata"
Via del Politecnico 1, 00133 Roma, Italy
Office: D1-17 Edificio Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Phone: +39-06-7259 7388
Fax: +39-06-7259 7460
My current research interests focus on:
My past research interests included:
I am or have been involved
in the following international and national projects:
- Placement and deployment of data stream applications in distributed Clouds
- Computation offloading in mobile Cloud computing
- Resource allocation and pricing in Cloud systems
- Self-adaptive service oriented systems
- General purpose computing on GPUs
- Cloud for Europe Tender, Phase II (Prototype development) (2017)
- EU Horizon 2020 "Energy oriented Centre of Excellence for computing applications" (EoCoE) (2015-2018)
- COST Action IC1304 "Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services" (ACROSS) (2013-2017)
- Cloud for Europe Tender, Phase I (Solution design) (2016)
- "System for prevention and combat identity theft"
financed by the European Commission
- PRIN project "D-ASAP: Dependable Adaptable Software Architectures for Pervasive Computing" (2009-2011)
- CRESCO (2005-2008)
- FIRB project "WEB MINDS: Wide-scalE, Broadband, Middleware for Network Distributed Services" (2002-2006)
- FIRB project "Performance Evaluation of Complex Systems: Techniques, Methodologies, and Tools - perf" (2002-2006)
- CNR project "SP1 Internet networks: efficiency, integrity and security" (2002-2004)
- CNR-Agenzia 2000 project "Computation Grids and applications" (2002-2003)
- PRIN project "High Quality Web Systems" (2002-2003)
- PRIN project "MOSAICO: Methodologies
and Tools for the Design of High Performance Systems for Distributed Applications" (1998-1999)
Journal Guest Editor
Future Generation Computing Systems (FGCS), Elsevier, Special Issue on New Landscapes of the Data Stream Processing in the era of Fog Computing
Technical Program Committee Member
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomic Systems for Big Data Analytics
in conjuction with ICACC 2017 and part of FAS*
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing
in conjuction with Euro-Par 2017
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomous Control for Performance and Reliability Trade-offs in Internet of Services (ACPROSS 2017), in conjuction with ICPE 2017
- Tutorial chair of 8th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE 2017)
- Co-chair of 3rd International Workshop on Advanced Architectures and Algorithms for Internet DElivery and Applications (AAA-IDEA 2009),
in conjuction with QShine 2009
- PDP 2018, special session on Cloud Computing on Infrastructure as a Service and its Applications
- InfQ 2017 - New Frontiers in Quantitative Methods in Informatics,
- MASCOTS 2017,
- Int'l Workshop on Autonomic Management of Large-scale Container-based Systems (AMLCS 2017)
- FiCloud 2017, QoS-aware IoT and Cloud Services Composition track
- 12th Int'l Workshop on Feedback Computing (FC 2017)
- MobiSPC 2017, MobiSPC 2016, MobiSPC 2015 and MobiSPC 2014,
Mobile Cloud Computing track
- Selected Areas in Communications (SAC) Symposium at ICC 2015
- Int'l Workshop on Cloud Convergence: challenges for future infrastructures and services (WCC 2013)
- 5th Int'l Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems (IDCS 2012)
- Int'l Workshop on Clouds for Business and Business for Clouds (C4BB4C 2012)
- Special Session on Distributed Networking and Computing (DNC 2011) at NAEC 2011
- WWW 2007, Performance and Scalability track
- SIUMI 2006 and SIUMI 2005
I contribute to the distributed system and computer systems performance evaluation communities by reviewing papers for journals (among which ACM TOMPSEC, ACM TOSEM, IEEE TMC, IEEE TPDS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TSE, IEEE TWC, Computer Networks, Journal of Systems and Software).
Davide Barbieri (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD June 2015, "SIMPL: A Pattern Language for Writing Efficient Kernels on GPU architectures".
PhD June 2015, "MOSES: a QoS-driven Autonomic Framework for Service Oriented Systems".
Alessandro Fanfarillo (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD March 2016, "Parallel Programming Techniques for Heterogeneous Exascale Computing Platforms".
Current PhD Students
I have the pleasure to work with the following PhD students:
Ambra Abdullahi (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), expected 2019
Matteo Nardelli, expected 2018
Steve Petruzza, expected 2018
In the current academic year (2017/18) I teach the following regular classes:
In the past academic years I taught the regular classes:
I also taught the following short course:
- Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing (MSc in Computer Engineering)
AY 2015/16, AY 2016/17
- Systems and Architectures for Big Data (MSc in Computer Engineering)
- Computer Skills, 6 ECTS (BSc in Business and Economics)
- Computer Skills - module A, 3 ECTS (BSc in Business and Economics)
- Big Data (Master Universitario I livello in Data Science)
AY 2014/15, AY 2015/16, AY 2016/17
- Distributed Systems (MSc in Computer Engineering)
- Web Engineering (MSc in Computer Engineering)
AY 2006/07 and AY 2007/08, from AY 2001/02 to AY 2005/06 as teaching assistant
- Advanced Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2005/06 to AY 2007/08
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering online)
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2002/03 to AY 2004/05
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Telecommunications Engineering)
AY 2000/01 - University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- Computer Architectures 2 (BSc in Computer Engineering)
Last updated on September 18, 2017.