I am Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department of Civil Engineering and Computer Science Engineering
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy.
My research interests are in the field of distributed computing systems and include Cloud systems and services, data stream processing, service-oriented systems, and general purpose computing on GPU.
I am currently Associate Editor of IEEE TPDS and Elsevier JPDC.
I teach and have taught courses in distributed systems, Cloud computing, Big Data, computer architecture, and Web engineering.
You can find here my CV
and a list of publications from DBLP and
My profiles on ORCID and Publons are also public.
I am a member of the DAMON research group.
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ingegneria Informatica
Università degli Studi di Roma "Tor Vergata"
Via del Politecnico 1, 00133 Roma, Italy
Office: D1-17 Edificio Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Phone: +39 067259 7388
Fax: +39 067259 7460
My current research interests focus on:
My past research interests included:
- Deployment and run-time adaptation of data stream applications in geo-distributed systems
- Resource provisioning and pricing in Cloud systems
- Computation offloading in mobile Cloud computing
- Self-adaptive service oriented systems
- General purpose computing on GPUs
I am or have been involved
in the following international and national projects:
- Scalable Web systems
- Distributed systems for ubiquitous Web access
- Earth In The Cloud, POR FESR Lazio 2014-2020 (Azione 1.2.1) (2020-2021)
- Cloud for Europe Tender, Realization of a research and development project (pre-commercial procurement) on "Cloud for Europe" - Tender number: 5843932,
Phase I (Solution design) and Phase II (Prototype development) for
Lot 1 "Federated Certified Service Brokerage, Lot 2 "Secure, Legislation-Aware Storage", and Lot 3 "Legislation Execution" (2016-2017)
- EU Horizon 2020 "Energy oriented Centre of Excellence for computing applications" (EoCoE) (2015-2018)
- COST Action IC1304 "Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services (ACROSS)" (2013-2017)
- "SYPCIT: System for prevention and combat identity theft",
funded by EC DG-HOME (2014-2016)
- PRIN "D-ASAP: Dependable Adaptable Software Architectures for Pervasive Computing" (2009-2011)
- PON "CRESCO: Computation Center for Research in Complex Systems" (2005-2008)
- FIRB "WEB MINDS: Wide-scalE, Broadband, Middleware for Network Distributed Services" (2002-2006)
- FIRB "Performance Evaluation of Complex Systems: Techniques, Methodologies, and Tools - perf" (2002-2006)
- CNR "SP1 Internet networks: efficiency, integrity and security" (2002-2004)
- CNR-Agenzia 2000 "Computation Grids and applications" (2002-2003)
- PRIN "High Quality Web Systems" (2002-2003)
- PRIN "MOSAICO: Methodologies and Tools for the Design of High Performance Systems for Distributed Applications" (1998-1999)
Journal Guest Editor
- Big Data Research, Elsevier, Special Issue on "Special Issue on Big Data in Industrial and Commercial Applications"
Parallel Computing, Elsevier, Special Issue on "Data stream processing in HPC systems: new frameworks and architectures for high-frequency streaming" (submission deadline: January 9, 2019)
Future Generation Computer Systems, Elsevier, Special Issue on "New landscapes of the data stream processing in the era of fog computing" (submission deadline: November 3, 2017)
- 14th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE 2023)
Workshop and Tutorial (co-)Chair
2022 ACM International Conference on Distributed and Event‐Based Systems, Industry and Applications Track (DEBS 2022)
2020 IEEE International Conference on Fog Computing (ICFC 2020)
11th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2018)
Technical Program Committee Member
4th International Workshop on Self-Protecting Systems (SPS 2022), co-located with ACSOS 2022
4th International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2021), co-located with ICPE 2021
3rd International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2019), co-located with Euro-Par 2019
2nd International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2018), co-located with Euro-Par 2018
International Workshop on Autonomic Systems for Big Data Analytics (ASBDA 2017), co-located with FAS*
International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2017), co-located with Euro-Par 2017
International Workshop on Autonomous Control for Performance and Reliability Trade-offs in Internet of Services (ACPROSS 2017), co-located with ICPE 2017
- 8th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE 2017) - Tutorial Chair
- 3rd International Workshop on Advanced Architectures and Algorithms for Internet DElivery and Applications (AAA-IDEA 2009),
co-located with QShine 2009
My recent TPC service includes:
MSN 2022 Edge Computing, IoT and Digital Twins track, MSN 2021 Edge Computing and IoT track
ACSOS 2022, ACSOS 2021
Euro-Par 2022, Multicore and Manycore Parallelism track
- FiCloud 2022
- ICDCS 2022, Edge Computing track
- DEBS 2022, DEBS 2019
- TwinNets 2022
CCISA 2022 special session at PDP 2022,
- The Web Conference 2020,
The Web Conference 2019, Intelligent Systems and Infrastructure track
- ICCCN 2020
I contribute to the distributed system and computer systems performance evaluation communities by reviewing papers for high-quality journals (including ACM TAAS, ACM TOSEM, ACM Computing Surveys, IEEE/ACM TON, IEEE TMC, IEEE TPDS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TWC, Computer Networks, Journal of Systems and Software).
I am a member of the PhD board in Computer Science, Control and GeoInformation at the University of Rome Tor Vergata.
Davide Barbieri (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD June 2015, "SIMPL: A Pattern Language for Writing Efficient Kernels on GPU architectures".
PhD June 2015, "MOSES: a QoS-driven Autonomic Framework for Service Oriented Systems".
Alessandro Fanfarillo (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD March 2016, "Parallel Programming Techniques for Heterogeneous Exascale Computing Platforms".
Matteo Nardelli, PhD April 2018, "QoS-aware Deployment and Adaptation of Data Stream Processing Applications in Geo-distributed Environments".
Steve Petruzza, PhD April 2018, "Combining Scalability, Portability, and Usability in Big Data Analytics for HPC".
Gabriele Russo Russo (co-supervised with Francesco Lo Presti), PhD May 2021, "Model-based Auto-Scaling of Distributed Data Stream Processing Applications".
Fabiana Rossi (co-supervised with Francesco Lo Presti), PhD April 2022, "Elastic Deployment of Cloud Applications".
Current PhD Students
Giacomo Belocchi (co-supervised with Giuseppe Bianchi), expected 2023.
Prospective PhD Students
Prospective PhD students interested in my research areas can contact me.
The selection for a position in the
Computer Science, Control and GeoInformation PhD Program at the University of Rome Tor Vergata is through an annual open competition which involves an entrance examination and the call is generally issued in Spring.
In the current academic year (2021/22) I teach the following regular classes:
and short courses:
In the past academic years I taught the regular classes:
I also taught the following short courses:
- Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing (MSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2011/12 to AY 2020/21
- Systems and Architectures for Big Data (MSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2016/17 to AY 2020/21
- Algorithms, Data and Security (BA in Global Governance)
from AY 2018/19 to AY 2020/21
- Computer Architectures, 3 out of 9 ECTS (BSc in Computer Engineering)
AY 2018/19 and AY 2019/20
- Computer Skills (BSc in Business and Economics)
AY 2015/16, module A in AY 2014/15
- Distributed Systems (MSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2008/09 to AY 2010/11
- Web Engineering (MSc in Computer Engineering)
AY 2006/07 and AY 2007/08
- Advanced Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2005/06 to AY 2007/08
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2002/03 to AY 2004/05, online in AY 2008/09
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Telecommunications Engineering)
AY 2000/01 - University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- Computer Architectures 2 (BSc in Computer Engineering)
Last updated on May 28, 2022.