I am Associate Professor of Computer Science
Department of Civil Engineering and Computer Science Engineering
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy.
My research interests are in the field of distributed computing systems and include Cloud systems and services, data stream processing, service-oriented systems, and general purpose computing on GPU.
I teach and have taught courses in distributed systems, Cloud computing, Big Data, computer architecture, and Web engineering.
You can find here my CV
and a list of publications from DBLP and
My profiles on ORCID and ResearcherID are also public.
I am a member of the DAMON research group.
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile e Ingegneria Informatica
Università degli Studi di Roma "Tor Vergata"
Via del Politecnico 1, 00133 Roma, Italy
Office: D1-17 Edificio Ingegneria dell'Informazione
Phone: +39-06-7259 7388
Fax: +39-06-7259 7460
My current research interests focus on:
My past research interests included:
- Deployment and run-time adaptation of data stream applications in geo-distributed systems
- Resource provisioning and pricing in Cloud systems
- Computation offloading in mobile Cloud computing
- Self-adaptive service oriented systems
- General purpose computing on GPUs
I am or have been involved
in the following international and national projects:
- Scalable Web systems
- Distributed systems for ubiquitous Web access
- Cloud for Europe Tender, Realization of a research and development project (pre-commercial procurement) on "Cloud for Europe" - Tender number: 5843932,
Phase I (Solution design) and Phase II (Prototype development) for
Lot 1 "Federated Certified Service Brokerage, Lot 2 "Secure, Legislation-Aware Storage", and Lot 3 "Legislation Execution" (2016-2017).
- EU Horizon 2020 "Energy oriented Centre of Excellence for computing applications" (EoCoE) (2015-2018)
- COST Action IC1304 "Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services (ACROSS)" (2013-2017)
- "SYPCIT: System for prevention and combat identity theft",
funded by EC DG-HOME (2014-2016)
- PRIN "D-ASAP: Dependable Adaptable Software Architectures for Pervasive Computing" (2009-2011)
- PON "CRESCO: Computation Center for Research in Complex Systems" (2005-2008)
- FIRB "WEB MINDS: Wide-scalE, Broadband, Middleware for Network Distributed Services" (2002-2006)
- FIRB "Performance Evaluation of Complex Systems: Techniques, Methodologies, and Tools - perf" (2002-2006)
- CNR "SP1 Internet networks: efficiency, integrity and security" (2002-2004)
- CNR-Agenzia 2000 "Computation Grids and applications" (2002-2003)
- PRIN "High Quality Web Systems" (2002-2003)
- PRIN "MOSAICO: Methodologies and Tools for the Design of High Performance Systems for Distributed Applications" (1998-1999)
Journal Guest Editor
Parallel Computing, Elsevier, Special Issue on "Data stream processing in HPC systems: new frameworks and architectures for high-frequency streaming"
Future Generation Computing Systems, Elsevier, Special Issue on "New landscapes of the data stream processing in the era of fog computing"
Technical Program Committee Member
TPC co-chair of 11th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2018)
Co-chair of the Second International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing (Auto-DaSP 2018),
in conjuction with Euro-Par 2018
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomic Systems for Big Data Analytics
in conjuction with ICACC 2017 and part of FAS*
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomic Solutions for Parallel and Distributed Data Stream Processing
in conjuction with Euro-Par 2017
Co-chair of International Workshop on Autonomous Control for Performance and Reliability Trade-offs in Internet of Services (ACPROSS 2017), in conjuction with ICPE 2017
- Tutorial chair of 8th ACM/SPEC International Conference on Performance Engineering (ICPE 2017)
- Co-chair of 3rd International Workshop on Advanced Architectures and Algorithms for Internet DElivery and Applications (AAA-IDEA 2009),
in conjuction with QShine 2009
- The Web Conference 2019 (formerly known as WWW 2019), Intelligent Systems and Infrastructure track
- ICFEC 2019,
- Special Session on Cloud Computing on Infrastructure as a Service and its Applications (CCISA 2019) at PDP 2019,
- ScalCom 2018
- Int'l Workshop on Container-based Systems for Big Data, Distributed and Parallel computing (CBDP 2018)
- MobiSPC 2018,
and MobiSPC 2014,
Mobile Cloud Computing track
- Special Session on Internet of Things and HPC: Devices, Networks, and Applications (IoT-HPC 2018) at HPCS 2018
- Special Session on Technologies for secure and high-quality Web-based services (TechSQWeb) at CN 2018
- MASCOTS 2017,
- InfQ 2017,
InfQ 2016, InfQ 2014
- Int'l Workshop on Autonomic Management of Large-scale Container-based Systems (AMLCS 2017)
- FiCloud 2017, QoS-aware IoT and Cloud Services Composition track
- 12th Int'l Workshop on Feedback Computing (FC 2017)
- Selected Areas in Communications (SAC) Symposium at ICC 2015
- Int'l Workshop on Cloud Convergence: challenges for future infrastructures and services (WCC 2013)
- 5th Int'l Conference on Internet and Distributed Computing Systems (IDCS 2012)
- Int'l Workshop on Clouds for Business and Business for Clouds (C4BB4C 2012)
- Special Session on Distributed Networking and Computing (DNC 2011) at NAEC 2011
- WWW 2007, Performance and Scalability track
- SIUMI 2006 and SIUMI 2005
I contribute to the distributed system and computer systems performance evaluation communities by reviewing papers for journals (among which ACM TOMPSEC, ACM TOSEM, IEEE TMC, IEEE TPDS, IEEE TSC, IEEE TSE, IEEE TWC, Computer Networks, Journal of Systems and Software).
Davide Barbieri (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD June 2015, "SIMPL: A Pattern Language for Writing Efficient Kernels on GPU architectures".
PhD June 2015, "MOSES: a QoS-driven Autonomic Framework for Service Oriented Systems".
Alessandro Fanfarillo (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), PhD March 2016, "Parallel Programming Techniques for Heterogeneous Exascale Computing Platforms".
Matteo Nardelli, PhD April 2018, "QoS-aware Deployment and Adaptation of Data Stream Processing Applications in Geo-distributed Environments".
Steve Petruzza, PhD April 2018, "Combining Scalability, Portability, and Usability in Big Data Analytics for HPC".
Current PhD Students
I have the pleasure to work with the following PhD students:
Ambra Abdullahi (co-supervised with Salvatore Filippone), expected 2019.
Gabriele Russo Russo (co-supervised with Francesco Lo Presti), expected 2021.
In the upcoming academic year (2018/19) I teach the following regular classes:
In the past academic years I taught the regular classes:
I also taught the following short courses:
- Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing (MSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2011/12 to AY 2016/17, AY 2017/18
- Systems and Architectures for Big Data (MSc in Computer Engineering)
- Computer Skills (BSc in Business and Economics)
AY 2015/16, module A in AY 2014/15
- Distributed Systems (MSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2008/09 to AY 2010/11
- Web Engineering (MSc in Computer Engineering)
AY 2006/07 and AY 2007/08, from AY 2001/02 to AY 2005/06 as teaching assistant
- Advanced Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2005/06 to AY 2007/08
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering online)
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Computer Engineering)
from AY 2002/03 to AY 2004/05
- Computer Architectures (BSc in Telecommunications Engineering)
AY 2000/01 - University of Rome "La Sapienza"
- Computer Architectures 2 (BSc in Computer Engineering)
Last updated on October 20, 2018.